Fourteen years of the 21st Century are over and what an eventful 14 years it’s been. These are a few images that went down in history are the defining points of this century so far.
1. Sydney, Australia welcomes the new millennium in style (2000)
2. The 9/11 attack on the World Trade Center (2001).
3. The reaction of Former US President George Bush on hearing about the planes striking the Twin towers. While the attack took place he was reading to students at a Florida elementary school (2001).
4. The Columbia space shuttle that broke apart on entry to the Earth’s orbit (2003).
5. The 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami that claimed over 200,000 lives.
6. Mark Zuckerberg and Dustin Moscovitz just after they launched Facebook (2004).
7. Isabelle Dinoire became the first person to get a partial face transplant (2005).
8. Michael Phelps after smashing the all-time record for the most Olympic medals. This was his 14th gold (2008).
9. Wallstreet employer reacts to the onset of the global financial crisis.
10. Barack Obama becomes the first ever African-American President (2008).
11. Jacqueline Kiplimo helps a disabled Chinese runner at the Zheng-Kai marathon. This extreme act of kindness did cost her the first place and the $10000 cash prize.
12. Live footage of the Chilean miners that were trapped under rubble for 21 days.
13. A couple kisses on the pavement during the Vancouver Riot (2011).
14. During the revolution against the Mubarak government this policeman refused to open fire on the protestors earning him a kiss from this Egyptian woman.
15. First selfie on Mars by the US rover, Curiosity (2012).
16. The first snow fall in the Middle East in over a hundred years (2012).
17. Following the attacks on Christians, these Muslims formed a human chain to protect them in front of a church during a mass (2013)
18. Carlos Arredondo helps his friend after the Boston marathon bombing(2013).
19. On one of his first public appearances after becoming the pontiff, Pope Francis embraces Vinicio Riva, a man plagued by a genetic disease (2013).
20. The world bids farewell to the great Nelson Mandela (2013).
21. Kiev’s Independence Square before and after the revolution (2014).
22. Usain Bolt becomes the fastest man ever in history by smashing the 100m world record (2008).
23. A child runs for cover as a gunman went on a shooting spree in Nairobi (2013).
24. Syrian town of Kafr Anbel sends their condolences to the families affected by the Boston bombings (2013).
25. Firefighters in New York celebrate the take down of Osama Bin Laden (2011).
26. Phyllis Siegel, 76, and Connie Kopelov, 84, finally tie the knot in New York after gay marriages were pronounced legal.
27. A view from the top, Tracy Caldwell from the International Space station (2010).
28. US flight 1549 makes a miraculous landing on the Hudson River. The brilliance of the pilot Captain Chesley Sullenberger saved everyone’s life (2009).
29. Iraq President Saddam Hussein’s statue is pulled down after a month since America invaded Baghdad (2003).
30. Five years after the Taliban Sharia law was passed a young Afghan woman shows her face for the first time (2001).
31. Steve Jobs unveils the very first ipod (2001).
32. Zanjeer, a dog, was the first ever dog to be laid to rest with full military honors. This bomb detecting dog saved thousands of lives (2000).
33. Christians protect Muslims during the uprisings in Cairo, Egypt (2011).
34. Priests stood in between the army and the protestors bidding for peace in Ukraine (2013).
35. A picture from the Hubble telescope of what the universe would look like 13 billion years ago.