Celebrated painters like Van Gogh & Rembrandt have given us works of art that are considered to be priceless because even to the most untrained eye there is something special about these paintings. However even though the artist’s on this list are some of the best in the world, it can be said that sometimes their reputation precedes them when it comes to the buyer’s pockets. All of these paintings were sold for millions, but when you see them you find yourself wondering, “are these really worth a millions??” Well obviously we are not against supporting art, but are these really art?? Either the buyer is a wealthy ignorant tool or these paintings hold some significance that doesn’t meet the eye. Either way the amount spent on these scarcely detailed paintings are over the top.
1. Green White by Ellsworth Kelly – $1.6 Million
2. Blood Red Mirror by Gerhard Richter – $1.1 Million
3. Blinky Palermo – $1.7 Million
4. Untitled (1961) by Mark Rothko – $28 Million!!!! WTF!!
5. Newman’s Revolutionary “zip” ,”Onement VI,” sold for an astounding $44 million!!!
6. Peinture (Le Chien) by Joan Miro – $2.2 Million
7. Kazimir Malevich’s 1915 painting Black Square-$1 Million
8. White Fire I by Barnett Newman – $3.8 Million
9. Bacon triptych-$7.5 Million
10. A monochrome by Yves Klein-$2.4 Million
11. Mark Rothko –White Center (Yellow, Pink and Lavender on Rose), 1950- $71.7 million
12. Untitled by Cy Twombly – $2.3 Million
13. A Jason Pollock Painting-$50 Million
14. Gerhard Richter-$7 Million
15. From Sotherby’s Collection-$17.4 Million
16. Claude Monet-$27 Million